Releasing and Restoring through Gratitude & Forgiveness
Gratitude During the Holidays
Oh girl! Yeah, the holidays are approaching and I feel exhausted already. I need to send out my “Holiday cards” I got two weeks ago, still laying on top of a pile of things to do. I made several attempts to get it down in the last days, but the amount of emails to organize the end of the year celebration at my child’s school took all the “little” time I have available. Plus, I don’t even know what to say! HELP!
Let us help you connect to your inner state of gratefulness. Yes, there is something in you, very loving, that is in a state of bliss right now. When you are grateful, a whole cascade of neurochemicals is released in your body, lowering inflammation and stimulating repair and immune mechanisms. When we are in gratefulness, we feel connected to others and we are happier.
How can I send loving cards filled with sentiment when I feel crappy?
Connect to the loving feeling you have for your child, or someone you really love.
- Close your eyes
- Take a deep breath
- Invoke their memory and energy to your heart. Recall the last time you both laughed together.
Yeah, ok. Phew! It does work. It really does. Every time I think of my beautiful child, Axel, like right now I am imagining him playing at school, a spontaneous smile bursts in me and I sigh. My body relaxes.
Good! Now, can you feel grateful for having him in your life? And who else do you feel grateful for sharing your life with?
Yes, I am grateful to have Axel, of course, and also my husband, in spite of all the ups and downs of relationships.
Yeah, my friends, Veronica, Rakel, Robert and Patricia…
My entire community of people that join our classes, they are so smart and wonderful, really amazing people.
What would you like to say to them?
That I feel so blessed to share life ups and downs, the wonders of everyday small things and to reflect on the big questions of life together. I appreciate the support and the love they give me when I feel down, and how much that helps me to move forward. They are my inspiration and I am very grateful (pause, I am weeping)
How are you feeling right now? A bit more grateful?
I am moved by so much love I have in my life. I feel much better, thanks. I can say that it is much easier than I think to shift to my heart, and from there, perceive I can accomplish whatever I need.
Now that you feel better, is there anyone to whom you are still holding resentment or judgment? Any family member that you don’t want to see at the holidays but you know you will meet?
I though that we were already done. What about it?
Well, forgiveness is an essential tool to release toxicity in our bodies. From gratitude is much easier to forgive, to let go, than from being in a contracted, righteous space.
Ok, yeah, I do have some resentment towards my sister, and I will see her at the Christmas lunch. I am a bit nervous about it.
I invite you to follow these simple steps to forgive TWO people before the year ends. First,
- Sit comfortable on your couch or bed, with your belly and chest open and soft
- Invoke you heart wisdom to come forward (a shortcut to remove all the nonsense coming from the head)
- Bring to your attention the memory of the person you hold negative feelings towards
- Invite your heart to embrace the idea that it is your PERCEPTION about this person what makes you suffer, not the person itself.
- Meditate on this for a couple of minutes. It is my perception, not what the person does. I can change my perception, I can think and feel differently about them
- Take 21 deep breaths. You can follow Rakel in this video. This powerful breathing technique, meant to help you while you give birth, can also help you to give birth to a new idea and belief inside you. It can help you let go of resentments and unresolved issues that limit your possibilities for growth
- Close the exercise “Saying thank you”, to yourself for allowing yourself to have a new view and to the person for teaching you about the power of letting go of judgments.
OK. I did the exercise, thank you so much, I feel much better
Who is the other person I need to forgive?
Ah, that is YOU. Take the 21 breaths and forgive yourself fully and unconditionally. This is the best time of the year to start loving yourself!
Aerin & Rakel